So what is this about anyways?? I am sitting in a computer lab, sneezing, and the person next to me, automatic, without even moving utters: "Bless you". And then, in a lecture, I sneez again. The professor stops in the middle of a sentence - "Bless you" - again without caring who or how, before they continue on with their scheduled agenda.
Don't you agree that a good sneez is infact pretty good. It starts as this funny tickeling in your nose, "a-a-a...
and ends in a big old "ttschooo!". My grandfather can't get enough of them - he can sneez 7 times in a row - to my grandmothers great frustration.
I am just a two-time sneezer. Some people sneez more, some sneez less. So I am sitting at the library, next to this person I have never in the world seen before, and probably won't see again. I am reading this extremly dry book about some theoretical proofs of some... -Then it comes! I can feel it, it's building up. "ATSCHOOOOOoooo..." Puh! And I have another one coming! Great! Then the person next to me: "Blessyou...". Monotoy and dull as the book he is reading. How can I sneez a second time after that??? He broke it. No more sneezing for me in the library.
Ok, so they want to bless me. Shouldn't they be a little more enthusiastic? Shouldn't they at least look at the person they are blessing? And if they really are so eager to bless people, why do they need a sneez as a magic trigger-word?
Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against being blessed, but I don't like when it is done this way. If you want to bless me, do it properly. I am sure there's alot of atests walking around and blessing people. So where does it come from? Who started it??
This is two links I found:
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mgesundheit.html
http://www.snopes.com/language/phrases/blessyou.htm
And Google knows more:
http://www.google.com/search?q=sneeze+bless+you&btnG=Search
So, I am not supersticious. I am not afraid of my heart stopping when sneezing, I am more afraid of my heart stopping when I am sleeping! I don't think the human body is created with a bug, we are immune against the devil, -EXCEPT when we sneeze. So stop bugging me! Let me sneeze alone! I hope I will sneeze on Saturday...
----
And finally something totally off topic: Artificial word-of-mouth marketing by sneeze.com http://www.sneezemarketing.com/sneeze_brochure.pdf.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Very nice that the professor stops his lectures to bless you... about beeing happier he can't organize a party just in order to bless you in a happy way! ( is it English what I am writing?)
ReplyDelete