07 February, 2009

Rail Jam Revelstoke

As I was walking through downtown Revelstoke, I noticed several places they had
a note posted about Revelstoke Rail Jam. This was to happen at Saturday February
7th, which happened to be just tonight. I decided to go have a look.

The rail jam turned out to be an anual happening where the people of Revelstoke
and probably other people that just happened to be there that night, had a rail
contest. And this, for the computer science people out there, is not a programming
contest of who is the fastest to make the coolest Ruby on Rails application in
the fewest lines of code. No, it is a contest where skiers and snowboarders
compete in performing cool tricks on a rail.

The session takes place as I said in the center of Revelstoke. They have a band
that plays AC/DC cover songs at the pavillion, and they bring down a huge pile
of snow onto the main street, and the kids climb up on this snow pile, rides down
towards the rail, jumps on it, does a spectacular trick, and the crowd is supposed
to go wild.

Here are some pictures from the event:

The AC/DC band


A huge pile of snow gets shoveled up.


People gather around. There's actually a car underneath the rail there. Unfortunately in the bad light conditions I was not able to get a decent picture of a rider in action.


And this is how you get two snow mobiles onto the bed on your truck

No comments:

Post a Comment