06 February, 2009

Revelstoke

So. I survived the expedition in Red Mountain, returned to the car that was parked next to some locals that thaught is was super awesome that I was driving a Nissan Rogue. I quickly got over the excitement and headed north to Nakusp, where they have a full service Esso station. It surprised me a bit, how can you have driven to Nakusp in the middle of nowhere not knowing how to fill up your tank? Enough said. They had a sign informing about the free ferry schedule over Upper Arrow Lake, but since I had no idea whether I was coming from Galena Bay or Shelter Bay, so all I could do was drive as fast as the little car could do. On the way to the ferry, I passed through some scenic landscape, but I didn't get to see it, both because of the dark night, but also the fog that limited the visibility to about 30 feet/10m. I made the ferry with about 5 minutes, so I didn't have to wait another hour for the next one.

So I made it into Revelstoke, and the Lonely Planet guide told me it was excellent housing options at the SameSun hostel. I checked in there, only to realize I don't fit in with the typical backpacker. First of all I don't have rasta, 2nd I ordered a private room, which sort of defies the whole purpose of a hostel. But the bed was clean and warm and I got a good night sleep.

Wiser from yesterdays experience in Red Mountain, I left my skins in the car, and bought a lift ticket to get stoked in Revelstoke.

The mountain was huge compared to the other places I'd been. With a total of about 1700m vertial, it was a lot of terrain to cover. The only drawback was the fog. I could not see the chair in front of me. Again - smart thing I left the skins in the car.


See how foggy it was?

But then the sun broke through.



A little lower down, I got to see the valley. A little bit like Kvitfjell maybe?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that looked very much like Gudbrandsdalen. Did you meet any other gudbrandsdølers over there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meet and meet. I've sent text messages to one of the Treslings that are supposed to be camping out here in Revelstoke, but I haven't really met them.

    ReplyDelete